Friday, October 7, 2011

Brilliance

This afternoon I called up my employer and asked if I could come play with two of her horses, Jag and Chester. She said yes very happily and I was off!

Jag is a retired Andalusian.... and... well, grouchy! Underneath the crabby behavior, there's a curious, active, and alive mind. You just have bring it out. My guess is that Jag has let his grouchiness set and has allowed it to be a habit. 

I put him on the 22' line and did everything he didn't expect. I rewarded him when an ear came forward. He didn't brighten up until I was putting him away and he had a blinding flash of the obvious-- I'm different! He suddenly pricked both ears and followed me and when I went away, he whinnied! I was very shocked and super happy. 

Chester is a super sensitive, really sweet, and extremely spooky Warmblood. He's retired but is by no means lifeless. He is a communicator but he's very subtle about everything. Everything he does means something

I put him the the 22' foot line and was VERY consistent so he would know I'm trust worthy. I had him circle in either direction and he picked up a amazing trot, very slow and smooth and then after a long while... He B-L-E-W... Pffffthhhhhht..... He went about 5 laps with the nice and calm trot on either side which is huge for how tense a horse he really is. 

Chester's terror is the big green ball. He thinks it's going to eat him! So what did I do? I took it out! Tense and Right Brain horses overcome their fears with approach and retreat with a lot of psychology. With how tense a horse Chester is, no approach is necessary. Retreat, retreat, retreat. More retreat. So I rolled that ball away from him the whole time... I wouldn't let him touch it! I wanted him to chase me for it.. Retreat retreat retreat. I ran away from him and bounced it away! Eventually he trotted towards me and touched it! YAY! I'm talkin' this is a TENSE horse! :) I loved it! 

This whole time... I didn't know but my employer and her friend were watching me!  Her friend would like to have me keep her colt at my house for a few weeks so I can play with him.. We'll see. I have to think about it. 

I love my job. And those horses. And my employer. 

-Priscilla

Note about the 22' line: When I use a line this long, I give the whole thing to the horse if possible. 

No comments:

Blog Archive