Thursday, July 29, 2010

"Finesse"

Hello!

Cricket and I had an epic session today, one that I will remember the rest of my life.

We started out doing some Freestyle riding with just following the rail on one rein. I was trying to develop two of the responsibilities, "don't change gait" and "don't change direction". We have a five acre pasture that has a long stretch of fence running down it. I walked it twice, trotted it twice, and then cantered it four times. She was flawless at the end.


Then I thought, "Let's move on to some Finesse." I wasn't so sure but I wanted to try it again. We had done some back in Level 2 and we weren't ready for it so her head just pushed into the halter.
So, off we went to try some Finesse. We started at the walk and I kept the life running through my hands (it's where you lift them -one at a time- to the rhythm of the gait), I felt her back start to lift and her neck begin to arch. I stopped, smiled, and rewarded her. She was great! Then I moved on a bit to some shoulders in and haunches in, I was so happy with her! She was a-m-a-z-i-n-g! She did it with physical, mental, and emotional collection! All with just my halter and lead! I'm in love with my pony, I will be for the rest of my life!

Who thought that a 12.2 hand Haflinger pony and a 13 year old girl could do all that?

Toodles!

Priscilla

PS. I just learned how to spell "Finesse"

2 comments:

virginagirl said...

Sweet Thing--I love it! I wish I could have been there to watch it all.
-Em

Priscilla said...

I do too! It was so fun and lovely to ride!

Blog Archive