Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Session with Leah

Hello everyone and especially, Emily!

I had a really good session with Leah last night. I haven't jumped her since January, I tried again and she was great!

This is the full story.

I went to the pen and caught her, she didn't try to run away so I just walked up slowly, asking permission the whole time. I gave her her treat and led her up to the halter.

She was VERY spooky by the time I actually got on, I had to "dismount" about 4 times. She hadn't been truly been ridden in a month or two.

I made up a game at the trot. Whenever she'd trot so fast that it would make the wind whistle by my ears, I'd stop her with one rein and turn her in a slow circle (*with feel*). She very quickly felt the need to slow and listen more. It was fun and very engaging.

After she stopped rushing the trot, we went over to the jump and sniffed it a bit and sighed. That was good, I then backed her and had her approach to sniff it, then the next time we walked up to it, she stepped over it. I asked for a trot and she willingly hopped over it. Although we didn't try a Canter, she was starting to relax and soften. She was SO Right Brain (nervous, fractious, and panicky) in the beginning. Her Horsenality is really changed in the past year, she is no longer afraid to show her opinion. She is Left Brain Extrovert/Right Brain Extrovert (willful, exuberant, mouthy/nervous, fractious, and panicky), that's really good and different.


Thank you for reading!

Priscilla

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha, I love the bit where she sighed... that makes it sound so realistic! I think I'd sigh too... :-)

Love R
Ps: if you're on skype tonight it would be fun to chat... I'll try to go on.

Priscilla said...

Ha ha...

lauren said...

how's brego. say hi to leah and cricket for me though I doubt she remembers me.

Priscilla said...

Brego is great! He's really pretty right now... I can post some pictures of him that I'm sure you'll enjoy! :)

Parelli Central said...

Priscilla,
Sounds like you had a lot of fun with your pony! If you'd like to try a "Can you?" I would say:"Can you jump the jump, then stop and have your horse back up to the jump and rest?"
Let me know the results!

Petra Christensen
Parelli 1Star Junior Instructor

Priscilla said...

This post was actually about my sister's horse.. :) But yes, I have tried that many times. It's fun and really has the horse think! I read about it in one of the old level 3 pocket guides! :) Thanks for the "Can you?" and feel free to give me more!!!!!

The Stevensons said...

My dad got me the new Parelli level 1 & 2 dvds for my birthday. They are great!

Priscilla said...

I'M GLOWING FOR YOU, REBECCA!!!!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE PARELLI!

lauren said...

I know you do priscila. I actually did alittle of the natural horsmanship on my friends minis.
~Las~

Priscilla said...

Good for you!!