Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"Conformation vs. Build" or "The advantages of a Mutt"



Do you remember how I always thought it would be cool to have a Warmblood? I was reading articles about conformation (structure of the horse) and have learned that it is nothing more than the skeletal/bone placement, the build is made of only tissues and muscle. Many horses can look like they're a different breed altogether just by having a different "workout". This theory does, of course, have obvious limits (Example: You cannot make a Shetland Pony look like Secretariat). 

Warmbloods, because of so many generations of breeding and inbreeding (which can have a bad effect on gene pools), they have a tendency to need special care and they also can have weak bones and/or issues with thyroid. Looking at Brego's bone structure right now (it's about all you can see right now, he's so skinny), I can see him being able to go many directions with his build. Since he is also a mix of breeds, he has the potential to be stronger than many Warmbloods (yes, that's right, Warmbloods). 

Because he is skinny right now, I have an advantage, I don't have to "work up" or "work down" certain muscles I can start from scratch and not have to worry about muscles that are over developed. 

Right now, I'm planning on building foundation fat and muscle in the right areas and then eventually I will start gradually building what I call "Finesse" muscles. They're like icing on a cake, these muscles also have to do with your relationship because you can't really build these without having precise communication and such. 

I think I'm getting more excited about Brego.... :D 

Quel Fara!

Elrohwen



5 comments:

Steve Edwards said...

Insightful, Work the horse that you have and he will soon become the horsee that you always wanted

lauren said...

so you accepted.
glad
~Dinen Arwen~

Priscilla said...

You're right.. :D

Parelli Central said...

I haven't seen your blog pop up on my google reader for a while... I missed out on Brego!... Have to go back and read all about him.
Hope all is well in the sunny AZ. We have single digits during the day and I am officially tired of winter! :-)

Petra Christensen
Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
Parelli Central

Anonymous said...

Btw, did you get to watch Secretariat yet? I still feel bad it wasn't out when I wanted to rent it...

Love you,
Rach