Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Struck by lightning... (a little dramatic)

I had some pretty huge realizations playing with Brego today.

Earlier this afternoon, Emily called and we talked for a bit, then she asked for me to send her an email with some tips for playing with a Right Brain Extrovert (also the Horsenality of Brego). I did it and as I wrote it I was thinking about Brego most of the time a realized that sometimes I fall short in the areas I need to be strong.

One of the basic "rules" of playing with a Right Brain Extrovert (very active, sensitive, and sometimes explosive) is a phrase known as, "Don't upset the Calm!" It means that the horse is already pretty calm with his food, buddies, water and shelter. You, if you're not careful, can become the "wind and gales". You have to keep the calm and make you a "safe spot". Hmmm... Catching on?

Linda, in a recent Savvy Club DVD, was talking about how Pat would walk around the Arena, "Yacking" to the crowd for a while before he started playing with the horse. At first, Linda didn't know why he did this and would be looking at her watch thinking, "Uh, Pat? You don't have much time left." All the while, Pat was allowing the horse the find his rhythm, energy and step. He told Linda,"I'll Yack for as long as the horse needs me to." That day, Linda had a blinding flash of the obvious and so have I.

Usually, I go out to the arena and get all set up before I go halter a horse. Today was a bit different and I was leading Brego around and measuring up everything while he followed me patiently. I realized that this was my own version of "Yacking", allowing the horse to relax, connect and find my stride. I'll be doing this every time now.

I also saw changes in his physical appearance, he used his body and I saw the calmest, slowest trot I've ever seen with my own eyes and brought out with my hands in a horse that big of strides. It was beautiful, the rhythm, relaxation and contact. The rope was on the ground the whole time and he was so calm and soft, he wasn't Introverted (kinda like curling up like a possum only it's in their head) either!

I had so many other awesome things happen in this session, but the punch line is, "Don't upset the Calm." For a horse to be "Light" or "Soft", he also has to be Calm, Smart, Brave and Athletic. Brego wasn't truly all or any of those before this session.


Brego Before: 

Brego After: 



Lovely, right? Yes.

Fair Winds!!

Priscilla

2 comments:

lauren said...

nice drawings. :)

Priscilla said...

Thanks, I only copied them. They were originally done by Linda Parelli (I think).

Blog Archive