Monday, November 1, 2010

Cricket's Story?

Well, I'm really surprised at this but I was looking through my blog archives and never found a post telling the story of Cricket and I.

I got Cricket in fall 2005, she was almost two years old and a testing Left Brain Introvert (smart, pushy, argumentative). The first time I fed her, I was scratching her all over and she kicked out at me. I was quite a bit surprised and was wondering what could have provoked it. Not knowing what else to do, I lunged her around the pen, wasn't smart but I was all I knew. She wasn't at all a problem horse, she was smart and I didn't know what to do about it. We started riding without having much foundation on the ground, almost every trail ride ended in tears of frustration. I began avoiding working with her, complaining it was to cold to do so. As spring came, Mommy bought Parelli Levels 1-3 and I began watching them with my sisters. I was intrigued but I was not convinced that anything could really help where we were. I spent one session after another trying the concepts and games all the while beginning to notice I wasn't crying as I came inside but I was smiling. Cricket got safer and safer on the trail, and she knew the seven games. I wasn't savvy yet but I was starting to be safe. Daddy's job took us to Colorado, it was a big change and downsize for me. I was used to 40 acres of woodland and now we had 10 acres of prairie grass and sage brush- not a tree in sight.

In Colorado it was a bit lonely, I had not much else in the day to look forward to besides Cricket. I would spend more than 4 hours in a lot of heat (90 degrees or hotter) finishing level 1 and starting in level 2, I was driven. I didn't know what I wanted to do when I grew up, but when I heard of the University program, it sounded like what I wanted. Emily went away to college, I remembered seeing her getting Leah to canter and Leah throwing herself around not wanting to. It was something new and I wanted to make it work, I watched a lot of videos on impulsion and lead changes and for about 2, 3 hour sessions we circled and circled. Eventually we started to do weaves and now she can canter, trot, and be in control of herself more.

This picture is something I didn't think possible, the kind of strength it takes for her to jump this high is mind blowing.

Even though we're still in level 2 for the circling game, everything else in mostly in level 3/4. Auditions help me keep track of myself and Cricket. She does so much for me now and I haven't cried from a session in a long long long time. :)


Thank you for all for your support!

Elrohwen

2 comments:

Kinga said...

It's amazing that you have taught Cricket so much. It is so inspiring.

Priscilla said...

I think my Sisters, Mr Edwards, Pat and Linda Parelli are more owing to my knowledge than anyone. Cricket has taught me more than I've taught her. Thank you!