Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Goals, how we think

Westu Hal,

Abby and I spent half the day yesterday at the horse lot trimming feet. We're boarding the horses 'till we can get our facilities going. We ended up only trimming Jehu and Leah, Cricket and Brego are going to be done today. Then Abby scooped the pens, I didn't help only because theres not another rake, and I played with Cricket.

As Abby scooped and I played with Cricket and I was really realizing how Humans (as predators) can be very direct line thinkers- especially about goals. I've heard Pat talk about this multiple times, it's really true. Just set up a goal and go after it with a human mindset and you'll pretty much never reach it, or if you do it won't be nearly as awesome as you thought. If you have goals, don't let them get in the way while you play with your horse, you have to live in the moment as they do. They don't set goals like us, their goals are to survive, be comfortable, eat, and play.

Say your goal is to pass a certain level before a specific date, you tend to hurry things up as the date gets nearer and nearer. Horses get stressed out, stop coming to the gate, you spend less undemanding time with them- the relationship goes down the drain. If you put the relationship first you can do a lot more.

I set goals earlier this year, I thought them realistic, but they weren't. I wasn't starting from the beginning, I was skipping to where I thought I was. The beginning is the best place to start, so I've taped a level 1 audition and sent it in. I will be taping a level 2 Freestyle audition today, lord willing. Or maybe a online audition, it really depends how shes doing, I'm going to live in the moment.

Live, laugh, love, and ride.

Quel fara!

Elrohwen

1 comment:

lauren said...

I"m a step ahead of you Priscilla!
live in the moment, look to your future,never forget your past.