Sunday, April 11, 2010

Relationship with Leah-- Next level 3 horse?

Hey People!

I had a small session with Leah today.
She had trouble with things being around her legs and her stepping on her lead rope, this is one usual problem she has had. I found out when she went into panic mode, I calmed her quickly and got her away from the rope. I did approach and retreat, she calmed nicely. I then taught her to back when ever I laid the rope around her back legs and sent steady pressure down it.

She has always had trouble making and maintaining canter transitions (Cricket had the same problem).
I sent her into a slow trot, then made a down-ward transition to a walk. She was calm, then I sent her into a trot again, then asked for a canter and she went into a faster trot ("Good girl!!!"), I rewarded her try and let her be for a lap. When she came around for another lap I asked for a canter again, boy did I choose rightly to reward that faster trot for low and behold she gave me one stride of the canter!! Major good girl, I let her be for another lap. Next time she came around I asked for another canter and she gave me about 5 strides... Great girl!!! Wait for it!-- Next lap she came around I asked for another canter and she gave me a sweet whole lap!!!! All in 20 mins!!!! Major success!! :) :) :) :) :) (On the whole, the session was about 45 min)

This has motivated me to have Leah be my next level 3 horse (that is if Emily will let me). Cricket and I are near our audition and I really want a challenge after that (not that Leah is in any way is a challenge). This past summer I took Leah through level 2 this summer and I feel I'll need another horse to work with when Cricket and I are in level 4.

Toodles for now!

Priscilla

xoxoxoxoxox

No comments: