Saturday, April 14, 2012

the dreaded buck


Many of you have probably seen a little blog/facebook button that has two characters, one a horse and the other it's rider, up it the air. The horse is bucking and the caption is, "I do my own stunts"...


Well, I do.


As you people know, I haven't done much riding on Aravis yet... Indeed, I haven't even cantered her yet. Our online is Level 3 but the lack of riding has been due to what started as a respect issue, then weight, soundness.... and now saddle fit. :) 


So! She's been trying to buck me off... not very hard and not at all vigorously... just a left brain threat. How do I know? Well, mostly when a horse bucks with it's head down its left brain and when it bucks with it's head up it's right brain! :) 


So... I need to save for a properly fitting western saddle (more security) so I can get on and ride out the bucks.. :) I asked Linda Parelli on her ParelliConnect wall about this issue and presented all of the situation in the context of what kind of saddle I should buy/save for/ride in. 


My question: 


I have a saddle question. 

I have a 3 year old, appendix quarter horse, left brain extrovert, mare. She is my Levels horse. And she's having some issues (bucking). (She reminds me of allure sometimes.)
I'd eventually like to do eventing, be a parelli professional, etc... I'm saving for a Fluidity GP but since more issues with my young mare I thought it may be that it would be more secure and a bit smarter to save for a Natural Performer. I can only have one of them... it would take me a long time to save for two saddles (I'm 15). 
Is it easier for a young horse to launch you in a Fluidity saddle or in a Natural Performer? I know you rode allure in your fluidity and was fine... hmmm... 
I trust you to tell me which would be best.. I don't really have too much of a preference right now.... 
-Priscilla

PS. I wrote my instructor about the bucking... I'm getting help. :) I'll write you about it sometime. The bucking is left brained and not at all hard/big... not like allure.







Linda's answer:


"Great question Priscilla. I'll tell you what Pat said the first time he rode Allure. I asked him if he would like to use my English Saddle, and he said "No way! I've seen that horse buck and I need something that will help me stay with him!" Of course you don't want to have your horse bucking when riding, but when the horse is young, and especially LBE, the risk of this is rather high :)"





The horse Linda and I were referring to ('Allure') was a highly active, left brain extrovert, 17+ hand warmblood who probably had ADD. Hehe... Now he's so great and is competing in Eventing! 


So now I'm saving for a Parelli Natural Performer (basically a western all purpose saddle)! 


Aravis' bucking is dominant and dangerous and she tries to go higher if I ask her for more of whatever she's bucking about... Hmph! I DON'T intent to knock my brains out, I'm riding with a helmet and getting off when necessary. 


You guys should know how careful I am by now. :)


Talk later...


-Priscilla













No comments: